Thursday, March 31, 2011

I believe.

  • I believe that your self, self presence, mental & emotional clarity (or lack thereof), energy, character, and personality affect the same in your horse.
  • I believe that your physical flexibility, strength, and positive actions or physical stiffness, weakness, and negative actions affect the horse.
  • I believe, at the same time,t hat the horse does not poorly or unfairly judge those who have physical disabilities or simply cannot after a point. They love, they accept, they forgive faults. There are some horses who are not this way - but the majority of them are not picky, as long as you are kind and respect them.
  • I believe that 100% varies upon the individual. I believe that 100% can grow or deplete in size, but that you should always try to be your 100%.
  • I believe that horses love to hear your song.
  • I believe that to dance with a horse is a great gift of ultimate trust, leadership, communication, and deeply woven friendship. I believe that the way of the dance is molded by the horse and you.
  • I believe that adventures with the horse, no matter what you do along the way, are the best. It is most natural for both - movement. Both the horse and I love to go, love to amble, love to stop along the way.
  • I believe that ropes should not be used for control, but for support, and that they should always be kind. I believe that they should not be taken off until the person holds that confidence and the belief of ability to do without.
  • I believe that we should try our hardest.
  • I believe that you should do things not by any one person, but by you.
  • I believe that horses love and relish in individuality.
  • I believe that although circles can be useful, they should not be incorporated until the horse and you have reached acceptance, understanding, and good communication.
  • I believe that Liberty is just as important as doing this with a line, but that you should only go as far as you think you can. Once you think you can't, it's over.
  • I believe that body language, especially when refined, makes a huge difference.
  • I believe that lightness with the horse is first achieved with lightness in yourself, then with light actions in the care stages and basic things on the ground, then with the dance, then in the saddle.
  • I believe that the horse does not and will not benefit from muscle building/flexing exercises unless they are ready in mind, energy, attitude, attentiveness, and feeling.
  • I believe that the horse will tell you when and when not they are ready.
  • I believe that you should never have a fight with a horse, because they do not wish to, and fighting with the noblest of creatures is detrimental to you and your relationship with your horse.
  • I believe that although we may not get it today, someday we will get to all of those wonderful dreams... as long as we are headed in the right direction and are making steps on the path. I believe that all dreams come true in the journey, but not by actually reaching the goal, by living the moments.
  • I believe that you and your horse are the greatest teachers for you and your horse.
  • I believe that good sleep effects everything.
  • I believe that the saddle should fit the moving horse so it does not restrict or cause pain to him.
  • I believe that before you ride, you should be able to dance with confidence and trust for both horse and human and respectable dominance from the human.
  • I believe that the only time you should ever hit or elbow a horse is when they are coming quickly and seriously into your space and on top of you. The hit or elbow should be direct and solid. If you are able to, you should rub it away and stroke the horse in that spot afterwards. You should never be angry or tense when you do this, but calm and sure. If you can do anything to prevent having to go that far - please do so, because we do not *want* to hit the horse, just if you absolutely have to.
  • I believe that the horse should be able to object or have conversation with you, and that you should never block its head if it is trying to move away from your touch or guidance.
  • I believe that time should be irrelevant when you are with the horse.
  • I believe that softness should be both physical and internal.
  • I believe that you should try new things, but never at the cost of your horse.
  • I believe that when riding, reins should be barely used and even if a bit is used, it should be barely applied.
  • I believe that cordeos and liberty can be very freeing, but only if it is done right and the horse and person are both calm and sure.
  • I believe that cookies should be used correctly and in measure and that you should only give your horse cookies if you absolutely know that you have complete respectable dominance over them.
  • I believe that respectable and true and full dominance can never be achieved by using tie downs or the popular version of lungeing or discipline or demand or obediance or whips used wrongly. Anything used the right way is okay - but things that restrict the horse, that prohibit the horse, that discipline the horse, that tell the horse he is wrong, that tell the horse he is bad, that "show him who's boss", etc... are not. I believe that tight reins are a sin and that a horse's flat ears are your own fault. I believe that if you're constantly falling off, you shouldn't be riding. I believe that you cause all problems. I believe that kicking never works, that spurs are bad, that harsh bits do no good. I believe that many riders should be pulled off of their horses, spurred in the sides, whipped on their hindquarters, and bloodied in the mouth. I believe that horses are dignity in itself, that they are kindness in itself, that they are nature in itself - and I believe that so many people underestimate them.
  • I believe that the horse is often looked over, past its wise demeanor.
  • I believe that many people could learn many things from horses.
  • I believe that the relationship starts in the pasture.
  • I believe that we should never shut out the world with music when with the horse, but the music is beneficial if used to calm and put yourself in the right mind frame.
  • I believe that pauses should be frequent - for thoughts, for feeling, and for physical rest.
  • I believe that you should know where your horse's feet are when you ask them to move, so that you can plan it to work out exactly right but that you should not expect them to do it exactly right.
  • I believe that the slightest bit of movement in the direction you wish should be rewarded.
  • I believe that we should see the horse past their use and into their soul.
  • I believe that a horse's beauty, physical wise, will grow with time and the right movement and mental and emotional being. The more they are with the right person, the more beautiful they will become both inside and out. When with you,both you and the horse should be beautiful.
  • I believe that the dance should not be subjected or limited to a circle, or a round pen, or a picadero,or an arena,but also that it should never be forced.
  • I believe that the horse should always be touched kindly, even when giving him slight direction.
  • I believe that if you are confident enough, you should start out riding the horse bridleless instead of with a halter or a bit. Make sure though that you have a safe enough place, that your horse is safe, and that you are safe - make sure that all of the elements are right before you do this or try this.
  • I believe that horses should be free as possible, with the largest pastures as possible.
  • I believe that trails are something of comfort for both you and the horse, whether near your home or far away.
  • I believe that competition gets in the way of fun and partnership unless you are far enough in your partnership that it does not matter and both of you are confident.
  • I believe that the rope should rarely be taut.
I believe many more things, but those shall come later. Maybe.

No comments: