Sunday, March 27, 2011

There are many things that are "normal" in my life that would be absolutely phenomenal in another... and there are many things that would be "phenomenal" in another's life that is absolutely normal in mine. I often use words in opposite ways, interchanging them with each other as well. It is all quite simple really, but the two saying mean two different things.

Normal to me is absolutely beautiful. So what is normal? Normal would be a drop of water falling off a tree, a long winter, the feeling of the sun against your skin, a blue sky, a cloudy day, worn paint that is chipping... Anything that most people would not notice. Normal is what is average... So are our lives not completely normal? They are average to the individual- but what is average to one person is not necessarily average to another. When you start speaking of there being a "normal" amongst a large group of people, then it becomes sad... because you know that there are many who do not know themselves.

Phenomenal to me is normal. Why? Every moment, for me, is phenomenal. Anything less than phenomenal things would be a bad day for me because it is virtually impossible for me to not see something as phenomenal. There is always something I am proud of, always something I am thankful for, and always moments that I am supposedly "lost" in. To get lost in a moment, as long as you are speaking of being lost in yourself and the world to where you are completely here and real and authentically living, is beautiful. To get lost in life, so to speak, where you do not know yourself and are not familiar with the world, is sad.

I was just thinking this morning, visualizing myself trying to explain to a person what horses are for me. I asked  them, "Have you ever seen the movie Eragon?" They replied that they had, nodded, and got that little line in their forehead, wondering why on earth that related to the present conversation. I continued, "Horses are for me what dragons are for the boy... But instead of gaining their trust on their back, I must first gain their trust on the ground. They may run from me if they wish... Because I am not forcing them to stay. They are creatures far greater than anything I could ever reach, and creatures that are more full of freedom than any human I have ever met. For centuries, they have been beings and symbols of power and grace and strength. But no longer are they seen in such a way by many. They have been seen as creatures used for warfare, for power, and now for greed and luxury. A horse does not wish to be with a human because of the way that humans have betrayed them. A horse internally longs for a human to bond with, for some reason that we cannot explain. Humans, though, have been so destructive to their kind that they turn their heads away from us. I am here to gain the trust of the dragons with internal, soul-driven wings."

That is the way I can best explain what horses are for me.

No comments: