Friday, December 3, 2010

My dear friend Aubrey just left. We had an amazing day today.

She has always liked horses, but has recently agreed to let me teach her some things with Parelli- starting out with the focus for safety, and then if she wants to progress at all allowing her to. Today was our first "lesson", "play time", "learning session"... whatever you wish to call it. The main point is, I hope that we will continue to do this for a long time.

We stood there slightly awkwardly in the cool weather. She looked like she was frozen but was too stubborn to go and get the heavier jacket that I had brought out specifically for her, because I know she gets cold. I have never really taught anything before and she had never really learned from a peer, I guess you could say. At first it was a little rough, but then I started to get the hang of it more. I explained things and their theories as I showed them to her. Later on, after we were done playing, we went and sat in the tack room. Yes, we sat in the tack room in the dark with no further intention to get up and go somewhere. She told me that I taught the way that she learned, which is really good. We seem to work together very well. I hope that the "lessons" will continue. I don't really like to call them lessons, but I'm teaching her and she's learning.

Right now she has just played with Finale a little bit. I noticed that she is very soft with the horses and wants them to want or make the decision to do things. I talked about Horsenalities, and I think she started to get that a little bit. I didn't really talk about what you do for the Horsenalities much though, other than retreat for the RB horses. I told her Cherish's story- as much as I knew from her "past life", and then everything we had gone through together and how she had not trusted me for so long. She watched us now with Cherish's rope on the ground, following me around and doing things for me with very simple cues. Since her face expressions were so blank today (Aubrey's) I am not sure if she was fascinated, completely determined to learn, or bored out of her mind.

We'll see, I guess. I had fun at least, I know that much.

No comments: