Tuesday, December 14, 2010

After taking a break from my homework, I found myself standing in front of the glass door. My mind wondered and debated on whether or not I should step foot into the darkness alone. Suddenly Sarge came running out of the darkness and barked at me once. He sat down as if he was not going anywhere, but simply waiting for me to join him. I smiled at him, because he had somehow come at the exact right time. My tennis shoes were shoved onto my feet and I leaped out the door to greet a dog that was jumping up and down off of all fours.Together we ran to the barn, towards the light. As we were approaching, I heard my mom close the gate to the pasture and let rope slip off of a horse's face. I hoped that Cherish was still in the barn, and when I turned the corner (now at a walk) her beautiful face was there through the bars. She did not look so proud as she had the other day, but no matter- she is still my angel pony. I will take her no matter how she is. Her ears were back, not flat, but in a tensed position. Her eyes stared forward into nothing without blinking and she barely moved except for her breaths. After I had been standing in front of the door for a few moments, she realized and recognized me. One ear went forward towards me while the other stayed in its original tensed position. I opened the door and she put her face near mine. I rubbed her neck and back all over, slowly and with care due to her current more right brain than usual state. It was when I stepped out of the stall again to get the halter and the wind hit my legs that I realized I had run out of the house and to the barn in shorts… While the temperature was somewhere around twenty to thirty degrees. I am no idiot, I just have my priorities straight.

No comments: