Sunday, November 21, 2010

Please Stop

I came out to see Cherish, but wasn't really planning on doing anything today. I decided to play with her anyway, but was unfortunately too "rush rush" because of the oncoming night. I am afraid not of the dark, but of what I cannot see in the dark- I already have bad vision, and it gets increasingly worse as the light fades. I decided, when I noticed, that I would just sit down in the middle of the arena. She came to me immediately. It made me think....

America is all about hurrying. There's even a "Fast Track Course" for Parelli. People, everyday, are running to get so much done... That they miss out on simple things like this moment. Of course, not all people will have what I do, but just look for a second...

I'm sitting on the dirt, relaxed and with Cherish's head resting just above my lap. A horse that previously trusted no one, she is now in one of the most vulnerable positions. Her muzzle touches my hand for a moment to say "thank you" for stopping. You look up to see a powerful creature who could easily kill you if she wished... But neither of you have any fear. The trees on the ridge a bit behind and to the right are a deep red. Those beside you on the ridge are mostly pine, but there are bursts of colored sprinkled within the sea of green. A slight breeze  plays with your pony's mane. The air is chilly, but feels good on your shoulders and brings a certain life to you that you would not find in the summer time. Ahead, and to your right, there is a clearing on top of the ridge and the trees are sprinkled across it. Behind and above those sprinkled trees is an orange sky with dark grey clouds in front. Each dark cloud is small, and outlined with a vibrant yellow as if being eaten by joy. Soon enough, the sky fades to a peach toned grey. The horse in front of you still stands, head held comfortably low. She too looks to the view slightly above, the one she will never reach. I wonder if she can see that far as clear as I can.

As I sit at one of the picnic tables and write this, two horses crunch their hay behind me. The cat sits waiting off to my right to be scratched. A car passes hurriedly, missing the world on its way down the road. Off to my left, I hear my mom praising Finale as they play together.

Who would want to miss this? sometimes my mom argues that I'm missing things I could be doing with Cherish, but I am missing absolutely nothing. I get more out of experiences than most people. Why? I pause to look around deeply at the world. Nothing is too insignificant to be pondered.

I sit on the window ledge of Cherish's stall now, watching her do very little. Horses are masters at being in tune with the world around them. Most humans are not, but I tend to be very in tune with the world. Each insignificant fleck of shavings, I not only see but feel. Why do I say insignificant/ Because the rest of the humans do not see it. I say insignificant almost as a mockery of the Homo sapien general ignorance. Why? Because to me, each fleck is very significant. Just as each hair of horse's tail, each light along the street... It's all significant. Can you see?

1 comment:

Aila said...

I like how you seem to think different than most. Every time I read your blog it inspires me to just groom my horse or just sit with him. We also think similar. I'm a fairly observant person and people think I'm weird because I nnotice the oddest things :).

~Lauren Mitchell (sonnyandlauren from the savvy forum)